It seems like just yesterday that I was writing the 6 Months in Review post from my parent’s house in Virginia. We knew that the summer would fly by, but it seems like fall is passing even quicker. When I started adding up numbers of nights under the stars, miles driven, and hours volunteered I came to appreciate our journey in a new way. We volunteered the same number of hours in the last 3 months as we did in our entire first 6 months on the road. We are driving fewer miles, moving at a slower pace, but getting to experience more and give back more. I think we are starting to get the hang of this!
A few milestones from the last quarter before I run the numbers:
- Last month we finally paid off / resolved the last medical bill from Jay’s accident on Week 7.
- This month we had the first time experience of staying with new friends that we met during our travels.
- During Month 7 we had our first radio interview by a news source.
Things we are excited about in the next 3 months:
- Volunteering with the National Park Service in the Grand Canyon — we will be hiking into the canyon and staying at the bottom for a few days removing tamarisk.
- Spending Thanksgiving with Jay’s family in Phoenix — and Jay will continue his tradition of riding the Flight of the Pigs ride on the day after Thanksgiving
- Exploring California — we have lots of friends there to visit and cool places to see and volunteer
- Testing the waters on bicycle touring – I am determined to at least try bicycle touring and we are hoping to start small in southern Arizona or California
- I’m also hoping to learn to ski (both downhill and cross country)
Hours Volunteered: 195.5 hours in the last 3 months, 391.5 hours for the last 9 months.